Blogging at Shopify Plus
Shopify Plus is the premium enterprise version of ecommerce giant Shopify. I started on their content team just as it was being built, in mid-2015. Over the year I worked with them, I:
- Pitched ideas, sourced quotes and research to back up my posts, and created posts covering topics ranging from robotics to enterprise email marketing to R&D, and how those topics impact and interact with enterprise ecommerce
- Worked on industry event and marketing calendars to supplement the content strategy
- Worked with my editor and Shopify Plus clients to create case studies (Hawkers, Sudara)
- Had several posts hit 150-400 social shares, with the most successful one hitting over 600 social shares
A few of my posts for Shopify Plus:
- How to Retain More of Your Holiday Customers
- Research & Development: What Would You do With 80% More Budget?
- What is Project Management? A 101 Guide for Fast-Growing Ecommerce Businesses
- The Dark Side of Entrepreneurship That Nobody Talks About
Project spotlight: Growth and outreach
Since the Plus blog was pretty much brand new when I started, we wanted to build traction and brainstormed on ways to do so, helping to create a cross-promotional strategy. My thinking? One of the best places to start with getting more promotion was with people who have a vested interest in promoting us, like Shopify Plus partners.
With that in mind, I went through the database of apps/companies that integrate with Shopify Plus and reached out to companies who were a good brand fit to see if any of their users would be interested in being a case study on the Shopify Plus blog spotlighting their app, or if anyone on their team wanted to exchange guest posts.
This project resulted in over 500 social shares, including the following posts:
- Breaking into Data Intelligence: Making Sense of Your Data for Revenue & Growth
- Using Data Backed Decisions to Convert More Customers
- Personalized Shopping: How Well Are You Paying Attention to Customer Data?
And, of course, it also helped us build beneficial relationships with others in the space!
(Note: I’m aware that social shares aren’t the be-all, end-all of measuring your content’s success, but as an outside contractor I didn’t have access to more concrete analytics, so sadly that’s the only metric I can share!)