I’m an Austin-based content marketer with over 10 years of experience, working primarily with B2B SaaS companies.
My thirteen years of experience run the gamut from writing and editing to strategy to managing teams, projects, and launches.
As a writer, I’ve worked with companies like Zoho, Shopify, Moo, TrustRadius, Bigcommerce, Zapier, and Clubhouse to draw in readers and keep them around. I’ve been writing for the web since 2008 and working specifically with B2B SaaS companies since early 2014.
As a marketer and strategist, I’ve funded my first Kickstarter campaign to over 150% on a shoestring budget, consulted on other successful crowdfunding campaigns, and worked with both early-stage and well-established SaaS companies to create and execute a content marketing strategy from the ground up.
Some of my other projects include writing and producing an indie audio drama with over 80,000 downloads and an actual-play podcast with over 50,000 downloads. I’ve also been quoted at or featured in/on MediaBistro, Entrepreneur magazine, CIO.com, the Intuit small business blog, Social Media Today, and more.
Whether you’re looking for a writer who understands the marketplace and your customers, someone to create a strategy for your crowdfunding venture and manage a team to implement it, or someone to build your content marketing strategy from the ground up, I can help. I’m especially interested in cross-functional roles that involve working with multiple departments or teams (in particular product marketing, UX, and community management). I’m also very interested in working with initiatives and organizations focused on social justice and positive impact.
Content marketing is my specialty, but it’s far from the only thing I can do. I’m used to working on cross-functional teams and taking on whatever work needs to be done to create a more effective marketing strategy.
- Content creation that meets audiences where they are—whether that’s blog posts, videos, podcasts, emails, or something else
- Working with product teams to create content to keep existing customers engaged & encourage upsells/re-purchases/etc.
- Using data & KPIs to course-correct the content marketing strategy and make it as effective as possible
Writing & editing
- Writing & editing web copy for SEO landing pages, product marketing, promotional emails, and general sales content
- Working with technical teams to create product copy that’s both compelling and technically correct
- Working with product teams to create onboarding copy and content that’s informative and educational, without being boring or overwhelming
Project & process management
- Recruiting and managing others (both independent freelancers and internal content teams)
- Creating process documentation, including style guides, onboarding materials for freelancers, tracking systems for payment of freelancers, audience & user profiles, competitive research, etc.
- Planning projects & seeing them through, including creating SOWs/plans, leading kickoff calls, and checking in with stakeholders throughout to avoid scope creep and keep everything on track
- Experience with analytics, CRO, & A/B testing
- Audio, image, and video editing (familiar with Canva, Reaper, GarageBand, iMovie, and Photoshop)
- Social media strategy/writing/scheduling
- Basic to intermediate HTML/CSS/PHP knowledge
- Marketing automation (strategy & implementation) to support content marketing strategy
- Familiar with WordPress & associated tools/plugins
For more details on previous work, you can head to the case studies page or take a look at my writing samples page:
Get in touch
You can reach me via email at michellenickolaisen (at) gmail (dot) com, or use the form below: